(本文发表于《英语广场·美文》2010年12月刊)
Inception
盗梦空间
○车厘子 编译
又译:奠基、全面启动
导演:克里斯托弗·诺兰(Christopher Nolan)
编剧:克里斯托弗·诺兰(Christopher Nolan)
演员:莱昂纳多·迪卡普里奥 饰科布(Leonardo DiCaprio ... Cobb)
渡边谦 饰 斋藤(Ken Watanabe ... Saito)
玛丽昂·歌迪亚 饰 梅尔(Marion Cotillard ... Mal)
约瑟夫·高登·莱维特 饰 亚瑟(JosephGordon-Levitt ... Arthur)
艾伦·佩姬 饰 阿里阿德涅(Ellen Page ... Ariadne)
科布是一名盗梦者,他能潜入目标人梦中盗取所需信息。商业大亨斋藤为科布提供一项交易:科布潜入菲 舍(Fisher)梦中,为他植入“我要毁掉父亲建立的商业王国”这个想法,从而消除斋藤的竞争对手,交换条件是为科布洗脱杀妻嫌疑。原来科布和妻子梅尔都曾是盗梦者,俩人为实验深层次梦境,利用镇定剂进入混沌界,从此在梦里生活了50年。后来俩人了解了真相,而梅尔却不愿面对这一事实,于是科布将“我们生活在梦中”这一想法植入梅尔脑中,用自杀的手段将她从梦中带回现实。然而回到现实的梅尔仍认为他们“生活在梦中”,遂自杀以求返回“现实”,死前还科布陷入杀妻的嫌疑,令其不得不抛弃一双儿女,远走他乡。
全片精密高深、脉络清晰的逻辑思维和天马行空、震撼人心的想象我们暂且不说。但是梦境与现实这一话题,足以发人深省。梦到底是逃避现实的避风港,还是现实只不过是人生的一场梦?分辨梦境与现实如果非要付出生命的代价,那么生命在梦境和现实中的份量只能占多少?是活在梦境中更幸福还是活在现实中更踏实?这个问题片中未曾可出答案,至少片尾那只似停非停的陀螺没有告诉任何人真正的结局是什么。
Cobb: What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? Avirus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious.Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it’s almost impossible toeradicate. An idea that is fully formed—fully understood—thatsticks right in there somewhere.
科布:适应性最强的寄生物是什么?细菌?病毒?还是蛔虫?是想法。适应性强,感染度高。一旦一种想法盘亘脑海,便难以消除。一个完全成型、领悟透彻的想法会扎根于脑海,萦绕不去。
Mal: If I jump, would I survive?
Cobb: A clean dive, perhaps.
梅尔:如果我跳下去,还能活命吗?
科布:技术高的话,也许。
Saito: In my dream, you play by my rules.
斋藤:在我的梦里,你得按我的规矩来。
Saito: If you can steal an idea from someone’s mind, whycan’t you plant one idea instead?
斋藤:如果你能从别人脑中窃取想法,又怎么不能植入想法?
Arthur: I say: don’t think about elephants. What are youthinking about?
Saito: Elephants?
Arthur: Right, but it’s not your idea. The subject’s mindcan always trace the genesis of the idea. True inspiration isimpossible to fake.
亚瑟:如果我说:不要想大象。你会想什么?
斋藤:大象?
亚瑟:对,但这不是你的想法。目标的大脑往往会去探寻想法的源头。真正的想法是不可能伪造的。
Cobb: I’m just doing what you taught me.
Professor: I never taught you to be a thief.
科布:我做的事都是你教的。
教授:我没叫你去做贼。
Professor: Come back to reality, Dom.
教授:回到现实中来吧,道姆!
Cobb: They say we only use a fraction of our brain’s truepotential. Now, that’s when we’re awake. When we’re asleep, themind can do almost anything.
科布:人们都说我们只利用了大脑的一小部分潜能,也就是在我们醒着的时候用的。可我们熟睡时,思想无所不能。
Cobb: Dreams feel real while we’re in them. It’s onlywhen we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.
科布:我们身在梦里时会感觉梦很真实,只有醒来后才会发觉有什么不对劲。
Cobb: Never recreate places from your memory. Alwaysimagine new places! Because building a dream from your memory isthe easiest way to lose your grasp from what’s real and what is adream.
科布:绝对不能从你的记忆里取现成的参照地,只能想象出新的地方!因为根据记忆造梦最容易让你难以分清梦境和现实。
Cobb: If you’re gonna perform inception you needimagination.
科布:想植梦,你就得具备想象力。
Arthur: No one likes to feel someone else is messingaround with their mind.
亚瑟:没人愿意有人在他们的思想里晃来晃去。
Ariadne: Why is it so important to dream?
Cobb: In my dreams, we’re still together.
阿里阿德涅:做梦又那么重要吗?
科布:在梦里,我仍能跟她在一起。
Ariadne: Why can’t you go home?
Cobb: Because they think I killed her. [Ariadne remainssilence] Thank you.
Ariadne: For what?
Cobb: For not asking whether I did.
阿里阿德涅:你为什么不能回家?
科布:因为他们认为我杀了她。[阿里阿德涅不作声]谢谢!
阿里阿德涅:谢什么?
科布:谢谢你没有问我有没有杀她。
Eames: Do they come here to sleep?
Thin Man: No, they come here to be woken up. Dream hasbecome their reality!
埃姆斯:他们来这里睡觉?
瘦子:不,它们来这里是想有人唤醒他们。梦境已成为他们的现实。
Cobb: I think positive emotion triumphs negative emotioneverytime. We’re all hearing for a reconciliation. A catharsis.
科布:我认为正面情感每次都能战胜负面情感。我们都期待和解,一场宣泄。
Ariadne: Who would wanna be stuck in a dream for tenyears?
Cobb: Depends on the dream.
阿里阿德涅:谁会愿意在梦里呆上10年?
科布:那要看是什么梦了。
Ariadne: Wait, whose subconscious are we going throughexactly?
阿里阿德涅:等等,我们现在到底要进入谁的潜意识?
Eames: You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger,darling.
埃姆斯:亲,既然是做梦就不要怕做大点。
Cobb: An idea is like a virus. Resilient. Highlycontagious. The smallest seed of an idea can grow. It can grow todefine or destroy you. The smallest idea such as: “Your world isnot real.” Simple little thought that changes everything.
科布:想法就像病毒,适应性强,感染度高。再简单的想法一旦生根就能生长,直到足以控制你,毁掉你。最简单的想法,例如,“你的世界不真实。”简单而又小小的念头却能改变一切。
Mal: Your world is not real!
梅尔:你的世界不真实!
Cobb: You’re waiting for a train. A train that will takeyou far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, butyou can’t know for sure! And it doesn’t matter. Now, tell mewhy?
Mal: Because we’ll be together!
科布:你在等一趟火车。那趟车将带你去远方。你知道自己希望火车带你到何方,但是你不能肯定!但这已经不重要了!快告诉我为什么!
梅尔:因为你会和我一起!