2011年上半年河北省学位英语教材第15单元课文
2010年下半年河北省学位英语教材第15单元课文
2010年学位英语第十五单元
本单元为上半年新添课文
We Are Not Alone我们不再孤独
After my husband died suddenly from a heart attack on the tenniscourt, my world crashed around me.
丈夫在网球场死于突发心脏病之后,我的世界崩溃了。
My six children were 10, nine, eight, six, three and 18 months, andI was overwhelmed with the responsibilities of earning aliving,
我的六个孩子分别只有10岁、9岁、8岁、6岁、3岁和18个月,我被压倒了,要谋生,
caring for the children and just plain keeping my head abovewater.
照顾孩子,我只能使自己免于负债,凑和着活下去。
I was fortunate to find a wonderful housekeeper to care for thechildren during the week,
我幸运地找到了一个出色的女管家在一周的工作日内照顾孩子们。
but from Friday nights to Monday mornings,the children and I werealone, and frankly I was uneasy.
但从星期五晚上到星期一早上,我和孩子们就很孤独,坦白地说我有点心神不安。
Every creak of the house,every unusual noise,
房子里每种吱吱作响的声音、任何一种不同寻常的噪音、
any late-night phone call-all filled me with dread.
以及任何深夜的电话铃声都使我充满了恐惧,
I felt incredibly alone.
我感觉到难以置信的孤独。
One Friday evening I came home from work to find a big beautifulGerman shepherd on our doorstep.
一个星期五的晚上我下班回家,在我们的门阶上发现了一条硕大而又漂亮的德国牧羊犬。
This wonderful strong animal gave every indication that he intendedto enter the house and make it his home.
这头令人惊奇强壮的动物给人暗示:他打算进入这栋房子,并把它作为他的家。
I, however, was wary.
然而,我有所警觉,
Where did this obviously well-cared-for dog come from?
这条明显照顾良好的狗来自何方?
Was it safe to let the children play with a strange dog?
让孩子们与这条陌生的狗玩耍,安全吗?
Even though he seemed gentle,
即使他似乎很温和,
he still was powerful and commanded respect.
但他仍然是强大而又让人敬畏的。
The children took an instant liking to “German” and begged me tolet him in.
孩子们立刻喜欢上了“German”,并乞求我让他进屋。
I agreed to let him sleep in the basement until the next day,
我同意让他在地下室睡到第二天,
when we could inquire around the neighborhood for his owner.
到时可以在周围邻近地区询问他的主人。
That night I slept peacefully for the first time in manyweeks.
那天晚上是我许多星期以来第一次睡得这么安稳。
The following morning we made phone calls and checkedlost-and-found ads for German’s owner,
第二天早上我们又是打电话,又是在失物招领广告中查询German的主人,
but with no results.
但毫无结果。
German, meanwhile, made himself part of the family andgood-naturedly put up with hugs, wrestling and playing in theyard.
期间,German把自己当作了这个家庭中的成员,在院子里态度和善地容忍孩子们的拥抱、扭斗和戏耍,
Saturday night he was still with us, so again he was allowed tosleep in the basement.
星期六晚上他仍然与我们呆在一起,所以他又被允许睡在地下室。
On Sunday I had planned to take the children on a picnic.
星期天我计划带孩子们去野炊。
Since I thought it best to leave German behind in case his ownercame by,
因为我想最好把German留下以防他的主人从旁走过,
we drove off without him.
我们没有带上他就开车出发了。
When we stopped to get gas at a local station,
当我们停下来在一家当地加油站加油时,
we were amazed to see German racing to the gas station afterus.
我们吃惊地看到German随后跑到了加油站。
He not only raced to the car,
他不仅跑到汽车边,
he leaped onto the hood and put his nose on the windshield,
还跳上了汽车的引擎罩上,并且把鼻子还贴到了挡风玻璃上,
looking directly into my eyes.
直视我的眼睛。
No way was he going to be left behind.
没有办法把他留下,
So into the station wagon he jumped and settled down in the backfor the ride to the picnic.
因此他又跳进了(我们的这辆)客货两用车,舒舒服服地坐在后面开始了这次野餐之行。
He stayed again Sunday.
这个星期天他又留了下来。
Monday morning I let him out for a run while the children got readyfor school.
星期一的早上,孩子们准备上学时,我把German放了,让他出去遛遛。
He didn’t come back.
他没有返回来。
As evening came and German didn’t appear, we were alldisappointed.
当夜幕降临时,他没有出现,我们大家都很失望。
We were convinced that he had gone home or been found by hisowners,
我们确信他已回家或者已被他的主人找到。
and that we would never see him again.
(我们想)将再也见不到他了。
We were wrong.
我们错了。
The next Friday evening. German was back on our doorstep.
第二个周五的晚上,German又回来了,就在我们的门阶上(呆着)。
Again we took him in,
我们又一次接纳了他,
and again he stayed until Monday morning,
并且他再次留了下来,一直呆到星期一的早上,
when our housekeeper arrived.
直到我们的女管家到来。
This pattern repeated itself every weekend for almost 10months.
这种每个周末都要重复一次的模式持续了几乎10个月。
We grew more and more fond of German and we looked forward to hiscoming.
我们越来越喜欢German,并期待着他的来临。
We stopped thinking about where he belonged-he belonged tous.
我们不再想他来自何处——(因为)他属于我们。
We took comfort in his strong, warm presence,
我们在他强大而又温暖的庇护中感到安慰,
and we felt safe with him near us.
并觉得他就在我们的附近,所以感到安全。
Each week,
每一个星期,
between German’s visits,
在German来访之间的时间里,
I grew a little stronger, a little braver and more able tocope;
我变得坚强、勇敢起来,更能应付处理问题了;
every weekend I enjoyed his company.
每一个周末我都享受到了他伴随的乐趣。
Then one Monday morning we patted his head and let him out for whatturned out to be the last time.
接下来一个星期一的早晨,我们拍了拍他的脑袋,又把他送走了,结果证明这却是最后一次。
He never came back. We never saw or heard from German again.
他再也没有返回来。我们再也没有见过或听人说起过German.
I think of him often.
我常常想起他来。
He came when I needed him the most and stayed until I was strongenough to go on alone.
他在我最需要他的时候来了,并且一直呆到我坚强得足够独自持家。
Maybe there is a perfectly natural explanation for German’s visitsto our house——
也许对于German的来访有一个极自然的解释——
maybe his owner went away on weekends-maybe.
也许他的主人要在周末离开——也许是有这种可能。
I believe German was sent because he was needed,
我相信German送到我们这儿来,是因为我们需要他。
and because no matter how abandoned and alone we feel,
因为不论我们感觉是被遗弃还是感到孤独,
somehow, somewhere, someone knows and cares.
总有人在某个地方,采取某种方式了解并关心我们,
We are never really alone.
所以我们永远不会真正地孤独。
10年下半年学位英语教程目录见 http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_56573c7e0100lp6n.html
09年下半年学位英语教程目录见 http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_56573c7e0100fgmj.html
10年上半年学位英语教程目录见http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_56573c7e0100iap0.html
点击进入我的微博http://t.sina.com.cn/xuewei3点击进入我的微博
河北省学位英语考试辅导资料 见 http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/articlelist_1448557694_12_1.html
河北省学位英语考试试题真题见 http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/articlelist_1448557694_9_1.html
点击返回本博首页http://blog.sina.com.cn/xuewei3点击返回本博首页