故事永远伴随着我们,伴随着我们的学习,从童年到老年,从课堂到职场,从故土到异乡。因此我们说,学习始于故事。小编精心收集了关于英语故事及翻译,供大家欣赏学习!
关于英语故事及翻译:Change altitude
改变高度
Rebecca had decided that her best chance of getting hired by a company doing geologicalsurvey work in the Alaskan wilderness was to earn a private license to fly twin-engine planes.
丽贝卡觉得,要想进入在阿拉斯加荒原做地质研究的公司,最好的方式就是拥有操纵双引擎飞机的私家执照。
A few days later she began taking lessons from a wise old bush pilot,highly respectedthroughout the region for his cool and collected ways of dealing with the worst possiblesituations.
几天后她便从师于一位年长而智慧的丛林飞行员。这位丛林飞行员一向以冷静和善于处理极端事件而在这一地区闻名。
After the mandatory ground schooling, at which Rebecca excelled, and during her fourthlesson in the sky,the flight instructor gave her what she thought was a special treat:
丽贝卡在地面控制训练方面做得十分出色。之后,在她第四堂空中飞行课上,飞行指挥员给了她一次她所认为的特殊待遇:
Taking his hands off the yoke, he turned the flight controls over to her.
他将全部飞行指挥权交给了她。
There she was, just as she haddreamed, sitting tall in the copilot's seat with the flight stick firmly in her hands.
于是,如同丽贝卡所梦寐以求的那样,她高高地坐在副驾驶的位置上,双手紧紧握着操纵杆。
Rebecca felt as though she was literally on cloud at least, until a scant moment later when shefound herself rudely awakened from her dream.
丽贝卡觉得自己至少已经升上云端了,但紧接着她便从梦幻中惊醒了。
In the distance, through the windshield, right in the path of the plane, and seeming to haveappeared out of nowhere, a huge snow-capped mountain lay dead ahead.
她从挡风玻璃里看见,就在飞机的航线里,远处一座白雪覆盖的大山不偏不倚地出现在正前方。
Transfixed by its sheer mass, Rebecca found herself as frozen at the stick as were the icedand craggy peaks stretched out before her.
丽贝卡完全被这座大山惊呆了,她感觉自己怔怔看着陡峭的冰山在眼前铺开,身体僵在操纵杆前动弹不得。
She was headed straight for them!
她正向群峰冲去!
All along the wise old instructor was watching her closely, studying her reactions.
整个过程中,那位年长睿智的驾驶员一直在仔细观察她的反应,
In fact, he had turned the controls over to her for just this test now taking place.
事实上,他让她操作驾驶,正是为了用眼前这一幕来进行测试。
He waited until the last moment he could, and was just about to take over again, when Rebeccasnapped out of her fear-induced trance.
他尽己所能地等待着,就在他准备重新掌控飞行时,丽贝卡结束了她那恐惧所致的精神恍惚。
Sir, said a voice so trembling and timid that it even scared her, Please take over the controls.
先生,她的声音颤抖着,几乎连她自己都吓到了。她嗫嚅着说:还是您来驾驶吧,
I'm afraid we are about to crash!
我怕我们快要撞上了!
His reply stunned her.
他的回答则令她震惊。
No, he spoke quietly, I don't think I will. After all, it's your flight.
不, 他十分平静,我不这么觉得。不管怎样,这是你的飞行。
Then what should I do? Please, tell me what to do! Rebecca said with a struggling to controlher voice.
那我应该怎样做?求求你,告诉我该怎么办!丽贝卡尽力克制着自己的声音。
She managed to look over at her instructor, and was surprised to see virtually no worry at allupon his face.
她专注地看着她的教练,十分惊异地发现他脸上居然没有半点焦虑恐慌。
His calm demeanor helped to steady her nerves.
他的镇定让她也平静了下来。
She took a deep breath and relaxed her hands that had just about choked the life out of thecontrol yoke.
她深吸一口气,那双关乎生命存亡的双手终于松了下来。
The next moment he gave her a short three-word instruction, and she knew everything wouldsoon be all right.
这时,他给了她一句简短的指令,然后她便知道一切都会好起来的。
He simply said, Change your altitude.
他只是简单说了句:改变你的高度。
Of course, her own mind echoed back to his command, and a split second later she pulledfirmly back on the yoke;the craft responded by rising, and mere moments later the icy peakpassed beneath her and out of sight.
当然了,她在意识里回应着他的指令,几秒钟之后她便牢牢拉回了操纵杆,飞机随之上攀,一会儿便飞过了冰雪覆盖的峰顶。
As Rebecca sat there, relieved by the results of her actions, she was struck by two things atonce:
丽贝卡坐了下来,她用自己的行为改变了结果,因而感到如释重负。这时,她意识到了两件事:
How could she have forgotten that the controls were in her hands, and at least as important,why had she been unable to remember this on her own?
第一,怎么能忘记控制权是在自己手中呢?第二点同样重要,为什么自己就想不起来这一点呢?
She could choose her own altitude.
她可以决定自己的高度。
关于英语故事及翻译:You sure are lucky
你一定很幸运
It was a hot, muggy August afternoon, and I had every reason to feel sorry for myself.
那是一个潮湿闷热的下午,我完全有理由为自己掬一把同情之泪。
A comedy of hassles began with the normal airport security gauntlet, followed by a randomdrug test, and a missed flight home due to a number of mechanical, weather and late inboundflight problems.
一系列麻烦事从机场的常规安检开始,接着是毒品抽检,再加上机械故障、恶劣天气和入港延迟等诸多问题令我错过了班机。
Now my flight home was full and late.
现在我的回程航班不但晚点了,还人满为患。
During the usual pandemonium at the gate, I noticed a 5-year-old boy standing by his motherand watching me.
我发现一个五岁小男孩站在他母亲身边看着我。
He looked at me, then my bag, then back at me.
他开始小心翼翼地向我走来。
Cautiously, he left his mother’s side and slowly began to walk toward me, glancing between mybag, his mother and me.
视线在我,我的包和他妈妈之间游移。
Great, I thought, now I have to babysit a 5-year-old. My day is now complete.
好极了,我想。我还得照看一个五岁小孩。这一天算是全完了。
As he came closer, I was both relieved and alarmed that it wasn’t me he was after.
等他来到身边时,我先是松了口气,接着有点不安,因为他并不是冲着我来的。
It was my hat!
是我的帽子!
I started to tell him not to bother my things, but something made me stop and watch.
我想告诉他别动我的东西,可是不知为何却没有说出口,只是看着他。
He stopped in front of my bag, looking at my hat, then up at me.
他听在我的行李前,看看我的帽子,然后仰起脸来看着我。
With wide eyes, he gently touched the bill of my hat, running his index finger slowly along theedge, carefully touching the emblem.
他睁大了眼睛,轻轻地碰了碰我的帽舌,又小心地摸了摸上面的徽标。
Again, he looked up at me, now smiling, but saying nothing.
他又一次抬头看我,微笑着,却一言不发。
I asked him if he would like to wear my captain hat.
我问他想不想戴一下我的船长帽,
He excitedly nodded his head, still smiling.
他兴奋不已地点了点头。
I placed my hat on his head, but it fell down around his ears.He didn’t seem to mind and held itup in the proper position with both hands.He ran to show his mother, then back to me stillsmiling from ear to ear.
他戴上我的帽子,跑去给他母亲看,然后回到我面前,乐得合不拢嘴。
With much reverence and ceremony, he slowly removed my hat with both hands andpresented it to me as though it were the crown jewels.
他恭敬有礼地用双手慢慢摘下帽子,好像是捧着镶嵌着珠宝的王冠似的,把帽子还给我。
I put my hat on and gave him an airplane card.
我戴上帽子,给了他一张飞机卡。
This, too, he held with both hands in awe.
他充满敬畏地用双手捧着它。
After this exchange, he still hadn’t spoken, although I knew he was excited.
这个交换过程,他始终未发一言,不过我知道他肯定很兴奋。
I also was happy that I had been briefly distracted from my self-pity fest.
令人高兴的是,这件事把我的注意力从自怨自艾中暂时抽离了出来。
Still holding the card carefully with both hands, he looked up at me and said, Mister, you sureare lucky.
他抬起头来看着我说:先生,您真幸运。
Yes, I said, I sure am.
是的,我说,我确实很幸运。
I contemplated the wisdom of a 5-year-old, as I got the last seat on that flight home.
我坐在回程班机的最后一个座位上,一个五岁男孩的睿智让我思绪万千。
关于英语故事及翻译:See with the heart
用心去看
And now here is my secret, said the fox, It is very simple: it’s only with the heart that one cansee rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
这就是我的秘密,小狐狸说道,它很简单:只有用心灵,一个人才能看得很清楚。真正的东西不是用眼睛可以看得到的。
Good morning, said the little prince.
早上好。小王子说道。
Good morning, said the railway switchman.
早上好。扳道工说道。
What do you do here? the little princeasked.
你在这里做什么?小王子问。
I sort out travelers, in bundles of a thousand, said the switchman.
我一包包地分选旅客,按每千人一包。扳道工说,
I send off the trains that carry them; now to the right, now to the left.
我打发这些运载旅客的列车,一会儿发往右方,一会儿发往左方。
And a brilliantly lighted express train shook the switchman’s cabin as it rushed by with a roarlike thunder.
这时,一列灯火明亮的快车,雷鸣般地响着,把扳道房震得颤颤悠悠。
They are in great hurry, said the little prince. What are they looking for?
他们真匆忙呀,小王子说,他们要寻找什么?
Not even the locomotive engineer knows that, said the switchman.
开机车的人自己也不知道。扳道工说道。
And a second brilliantly lighted express thundered by, in the opposite direction.
于是,第二列灯火通明的快车又朝着相反的方向轰隆轰隆地开过去。
Are they coming back already? demanded the little princes.
他们怎么又回来了呢?小王子问道。
These are not the same ones, said the switchman. It is an exchange.
他们不是原来那些人了。扳道工说,这是一次对开列车。
Were they not satisfied where they were?
他们不满意他们原来所住的地方吗?小王子问道。
No one is ever satisfied where he is, said the switchman.
人们是从来也不会满意自己所在的地方的。 扳道工说。
And they heard the roaring thunder of a third brilliantly lighted express.
此时,第三趟灯火明亮的快车又隆隆而过。
Are they pursuing the first travelers? demanded the little prince.
他们是在追随第一批旅客吗?小王子问道。
They are pursuing nothing at all, said the switchman.
他们什么也不追随。扳道工说,
They are asleep in there, or if they are not asleep they are yawning.
他们在里面睡觉,或是在打哈欠。
Only the children are flattening their noses against the windowpanes.
只有孩子们把鼻子贴在玻璃窗上往外看。
Only the children know what they are looking for, said the little prince.
只有孩子知道他们自己在寻找什么。小王子说,
They devote their time to a rag doll and it becomes very important to them; and if anybodytakes it away from them, they cry…
他们为一个布娃娃花费不少时间,这个布娃娃就成了很重要的东西,如果有人夺走的他们的布娃娃,他们就哭泣...